What is invented spelling?
• Invented spelling refers to young children’s attempts to use their best judgments about spelling.
• The practice of spelling unfamiliar words by making an educated guess as to the correct spelling based on the existing phonetic knowledge.
Why invented spelling?
• It is a great indicator of future success as a reader.
• It develops stronger reading skills regardless of existing vocabulary, alphabetic knowledge or word reading skills.
Examples of invented spelling:
How can we help our children develop this skill?
• Children should simply be encouraged to write.
• Have the child read back his/her writing and praise them for the attempt.
* don’t make a big deal out of pointing out the differences or correcting the misspellings.
* Let the child internalize the letter-sound associations as he or she learns to write.
EVENTUALLY, YOUR CHILD WILL HAVE A SOLID UNDERSTANDING OF HOW LETTERS AND SOUNDS COMBINE TO MAKE WORDS. THIS WILL BE THE CHILD’S PATH TO READING SUCCESS.